Saturday 12 January 2019

Review of the Year 2018

This is my 13th annual review since I started this blog. I'm definitely another year older, with the aches and pains to prove it, but still aware how very fortunate I have been.

OVERSEAS TRAVEL

In 2018, with my mobility noticeably impaired, I made two overseas trips - the first to Burma (Myanmar, as it is now known) and Nepal, the second a private train trip by 'Golden Eagle' to Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan. Returning from the 'Golden Eagle' trip, I also spent a weekend in Istanbul.

Burma and Nepal in 2018

I set off on 19th April and visited Yangon before travelling to Mon State where we made visits to various Drop In Centres for distributions and Monasteries. After a weekend at the Bagan Clinic, my friends and I made a trip to Chin State (staying in Kalay and Rith Lake and even making a brief visit to India) before returning to Bagan Medical Clinic for a second weekend. I made a distribution at Htee Pu school before the Doctor and I made a trip to Pyin Oo Lwin (where we visited two orphanages and a monastery) and then made a trip by rail to Nawngpeng over the famous Gokteik Viaduct, returning by car to Mandalay to catch a flight back to Yangon. Finally, the Doctor and I made a official visit to the railway at Bago.


Visit to Chin State 30th April 2018

The first of a series of posts on my 2018 trip to Burma is here and each post in the series has links to the subsequent episode and my pictures.

At the end of my Burma trip, I flew from Yangon to Kathmandu, transiting in Bangkok. I toured Kathmandu, took a morning 'Mountain Flight' to view the Himalayas, then flew to Pokhara (staying at the Tiger Mountain Lodge) before returning to Kathmandu for more sightseeing (including Bhaktapur City) before returning home, exhilarated but exhausted.

Bhaktapur City, Nepal, 14th May 2018.

The first post about Nepal is here with similar links to later posts and my pictures.

Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Turkey in 2018

I set off on 29th September and visited Yerevan in Armenia for their Independence Day before travelling by train to Lake Sevan for more sightseeing. Our train then went to Georgia where we visited Tblisi (the capital) and Gori (birthplace of Stalin) before making an overnight journey into Azerbaijan which became delayed, shortening the time available for sightseeing in Baku whilst staying at the Four Seasons Hotel.


Yerevan, Armenia: Independendence Day 2018


Tbilisi, Georgia, viewed from Sioni Cathedral.


Baku, with its architectural contrasts, viewed from my room at the Four Seasons Hotel.

The first of a series of posts on this trip to three fascinating countries is here and each post in the series has links to the subsequent episode and my pictures.

Instanbul, Turkey in 2018

On leaving Baku by air, I flew to Istanbul for a weekend visit before returning home.


Istanbul, Turkey: View of the Bosphorus, with the first of three Bosphorus suspension bridges in the background.

The first of a short series of posts on Istanbul is here and each post has links to any later post and my pictures.

To find more about overseas visits I've made in previous years, see:-
Jan Ford's Travels (2001 onwards).
Jan Ford's Travels - The early trips (before 2001).
Jan Ford's Travels: Around the World in pictures (alphabetic list of countries with links to pictures).
TRAVEL IN THE UK

During the year I made a few trips (mainly by rail) to various destinations in the UK, some of which have blog posts:-

A Trip to Merseyside.
Another Day Trip to Ely.
To Hereford by rail.
Returning from Hereford by Rail.
To Altrincham via the former C.L.C..
Another Trip to Merseyside.


Ely: Ann Matthews being presented having graduated as Master of Arts in History.

RAILWAYS AND PRESERVATION

During 2018, I continued to support the Old Locomotive Committee and remained an active volunteer at The Battlefield Line and Peak Rail.

The Old Locomotive Committee

On Saturday, 14th April 2018 the 33rd Annual General Meeting of the Old Locomotive Committee (I currently serve as secretary) was held in the Museum of Liverpool. There's a short post here.


OLCO AGM 2018

The 'Lionsmeet' event was held on Saturday, 28th July 2018 at the at the Broomy Hill track of the Hereford Society of Model Engineers. My report is here.


'Lionsmeet' 2018 28th July 2018: The covered steaming bays serving the elevated track radiate from a turntable.

You can find all my posts about OLCO here and there's more information on the Old Locomotive Committee's website (and becoming a member) here.

The Battlefield Line

I had a number of steam and Diesel Multiple Unit driving turns during the year, some of which are described in blog posts:-

Diesel Multiple Unit, Easter 2018.
More Fish and Chips.
Diesel Days.
5542 at the Battlefield Line.
Battlefield Line 'Family Fun Weekend'.
Preparing 5542 (part 1).
Battlefield Line Steam Gala 2018 (Part 1).
Santa Specials at the Battlefield Line 2018.


Shackerstone Station: Saturday, 30th June 2018.

You can find all my posts about the Battlefield Line here.

Incidentally, you can find all my posts about Diesel Multiple Units here or refer to the 'Index' here.

Peak Rail

I regularly drove steam during the year at Peak Rail and there are a couple of blog posts describing special events, with links to pictures:-

Peak Rail 1940s Weekend 2018.
Santa Specials at Peak Rail 2018.


Peak Rail 2018: No. 72 on an 'Up' train pauses at Darley Dale.

You can find all my posts about Peak Rail here, with a collection of general pictures showing activities at Peak Rail during 2018 here.

Myanma Railways

During my visit to Burma in 2018 I again spent some time studying the railway system, resulting in a number of blog posts:-

A trip to Bago 10-May-2018.
Gokteik Viaduct Notes 9-May-2018.
Gokteik Viaduct 8-May-2018.
Train movements at Yangon Central station (3) 1-Apr-2018.
Train movements at Yangon Central station (2)31-Mar-2018.

You can find all my posts about Myanma Railways here or refer to the 'Index' here.


The Railway at Bago, 9th May 2018: For once, Jan looks quite happy.

You can find all my posts about Myanma Railways here.

BREWOOD HALL

The Brewood Garden Party was held at Brewood Hall for the sixth time on Saturday, 7th July 2018. There's a report here, with a link to my pictures.


Brewood Garden Party 2018: Cannock Wind Band performing.

A building dating from 1640 listed Grade II has a recurrent need for maintenance which I document from time-to-time. You can find all my posts about Brewood Hall here.

TY GWYN

Ty Gwyn is a small commercial woodland around 27 hectares in area near Corwen in Wales. There's a brief report on my 2018 visit here with a link to my pictures. To see all my posts on Ty Gwyn, click here.


Ty Gwyn 2018: The Pool, looking east.

'ROAD TO MANDALAY' SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION

For a number of years, I've supported the charitable initiatives operated under the above name in Burma. I'm also currently a trustee of the Belmond Myanmar Foundation in the U.K. which also provides support to this work. When I visit Burma, I try to see as much as possible of the projects in hand. Educational Support is provided to a wide range of schools and orphanages (including the Orphans & Vulnerable Children Project in Mon State) and Medical Treatment to all ages (centred on the wonderful Bagan Medical Clinic).

You can find all my posts on Educational Support here.


Shwe Sin Minn Nunnery and Orphanage: 6th May 2018

You can find all my posts on Medical Support here.


Bagan Clinic, Saturday 5th May 2018: Some of the patients waiting for consultations.

OTHER BLOG POSTS IN THE YEAR

This review covers trips and events during the year but doesn't include other types of post including:-
Technical or historical articles, mainly about railways;
Recollections of past events;
PREVIOUS ANNUAL REVIEWS
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007
2006