Friday 26 August 2022

Blackpool by rail, Fleetwood and Knott End

On Thursday, 30th June 2022, I made a trip by rail to Blackpool, Fleetwood and Knott End. This was largely a 're-run' of an earlier trip in 2021 described here

I caught the 07:30 bus to Wolverhampton, walked towards the station and, once again, marvelled at the slow progress of the tramway extension to the railway station. For some time, the double tramway track from the existing route stopped at Victoria Square. Then, tracks were laid along railway drive, stopping just short of the destination. Special rail joints were provided either side of the bridge over the Ring Road, presumably to allow for some bridge movement.


West Midland Metro: Flexible rail joint on bridge over Ring Road in Railway Drive, Wolverhampton.

However, recently a number of deep, square holes have been dug adjacent to the tracks along this section, with groups of orange-clad workers often in attendance but the reason for these excavations isn't obvious. Work has also continued with tracklaying on the final section extending to the site of the tram station adjacent to the railway station entrance. This tracklaying is enclosed by two adjacent sets of fencing separated by a narrow walkway to allow public access to and from the railway station. The worksite gates are continually opened and closed as workers and materials move between the two areas.
br>
Wolverhampton Station: View from station towards the City showing tramway tracks under construction on Railway Drive (Trip to Blackpool)

The obstacle race involved in getting to the station gives an unwelcoming feeling to the area which is compounded inside the building by the bleak internal finish of painted building blocks more suggestive of a prison than a modern transport hub. But I suppose it serves as preparation for the high fares and frequent train cancellations on offer.

The displays showed my train, the 08:37 Edinburgh, as 'On time'. Once on the platform, I used my mobile phone to interrogate Railcam UK (described here) to show the approaching train, reporting number 9S44, near Coseley, but preceded by an all-stations local, terminating at Wolverhampton. As frequently happens, my train was slowed or stopped near Monmore Green, waiting for the local to tuck itself into bay platform 5 before the route could be reset and signal BW4271 cleared for my train to follow into through platform 1, arriving 2 minutes late.

The trainset was an 11-car unit, 390117 named 'Blue Peter', re-liveried since the days of the Virgin Trains franchise but without the re-furbishment carried out by Avanti on some of the sets. I found my seat in coach J near the rear of the train and, as we sped north, I was quickly provided with a cooked breakfast. The staff were friendly and the food was good quality, promptly supplied so I enjoyed the journey. I still consider modern arrangements fall short of earlier standards although my experience of railway restaurant cars only extends back to the 1980s, when many travellers already thought on-train catering a lost cause.

We were back on time approaching Crewe but were brought to a stand briefly at signal CE107 (again, as frequently happens), making our arrival in platform 11 one minute in arrears. Our departure was seven minutes late but I didn't discover the cause. On our journey north with brief station stops at Warrington and Wigan, some time had been made up before Preston where I alighted but I never found out whether I would have made the advertised connection with the 10:09 departure to Blackpool as the platform displays indicated that the train had been cancelled. Following the Covid19 pandemic, typically no apologies are made for frequent cancellations. Fortunately, there was another service at 10:25.

I walked along the straight, broad platform 3 towards the footbtidge admiring, as always, the gabled overall roof. Such structures are often called 'train sheds' which seems a rather mean description. The airiness and sense of space combined with generous admission of daylight I find very appealing. The arched structures at, for instance, Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester Piccadilly and York are perhaps better-known but the Preston design is very effective.


Platform 3 at Preston with 9S44 preparing to leave: Trip to Blackpool


Preston platform 3, view looking south from the footbridge with platform 2 on the right: Trip to Blackpool:

The train forward to Blackpool arrived on time from the south comprising two 4-car sets of Class 331 EMU built by CAF in Spain. Although I'd seen Class 331 in various locations this was only my second chance to ride on this class introduced in 2019 (the first was a short trip from Edge Hill to Lime Street described here). The modern interiors are decent standard but I didn't find the ride particularly good on the way to Blackpool. The train formed part of a regular Northern Trains electric service between Hazel Grove (the limit of electrification on the Buxton branch from Stockport) and Blackpool North. My train (reporting number 2N63) had left Hazel Grove at 09:03 and travelled via Stockport, Manchester Piccadilly, Bolton, Horwich and Chorley before joining the West Coast Main Line to reach Preston. Our arrival at Blackpool North was on time at 10:47.

The pedestrian route from the station to the town remained initially via the rather inconvenient arrangement of narrow ramp and stairs to reach the Talbot Gateway area still dominated by building work. The tram station at Blackpool North was still under construction but, having noted the overhead conductor system had been installed and that the tram signals were lit, I was not surprised as I walked along Talbot Road to the seafront when a tram marked 'Not in Service' passed me. Afterwards, I found out that my visit coincided with a week of testing the new line with empty trams running every ten minutes during the day.


Tram carrying out test running on the new extension along Talbot Road: Trip to Blackpool

There had been a little light rain on my journey along Talbot Road, ignored by lightly-dressed holidaymakers, but this soon stopped as the sun emerged and the day warmed. I joined a few passengers waiting for a northbound tram at the North Pier Tram Station and, after a few minutes wait, one of the fleet of Bombardier 'Flexity' trams arrived. I secured a seat at the front offering a view ahead and, having purchased a return ticket to Fleetwood Ferry from the friendly conductor with a rapid contactless payment, settled down for the eight mile journey punctuated by frequent stops to the northern terminus.

It's just a few yards from the tram terminus across the Esplanade to the ferry and, despite just missing a departing ferry, I couldn't resist wandering around the area whilst waiting for the next departure thirty minutes later, finding one of the 'Heritage' trams awaiting its next trip and then exploring Euston Park, with the North Euston Hotel in the background.


Blackpool 'Heritage' tram on loop line at Fleetwood Ferry: Trip to Blackpool


Euston Park, Fleetwood with the North Euston Hotel background left and the Lower Light background right: Trip to Blackpool

Fleetwood Ferry Port is a substantial square-ended dock which towers over the modern Wyre Estuary Ferry 'Wyre Rose'. A long ramp leads passengers down to board the ferry via a short power-operated gangway mounted on the port side of the ferry.


Fleetwood Ferry Port and 'Wyre Rose': Trip to Blackpool

The ferry is operated by two men - the 'skipper' has an elevated 'pilot house' giving improved visibility, the other looks after mooring, the gangway and collecting fares (cash only, collected in a white plastic bucket).


Wyre Estuary Ferry during the crossing showing gangway in raised position, raised 'pilot house' and white cash bucket: Trip to Blackpool

The crossing takes only a few minutes to Knott End (or Knott End-on-Sea to give its full title) on the far side of the Wyre Estuary where the ferry moors alongside a long concrete slipway leading to the expanded village forming part of Parish of Preesall and Wyre Council. It's an odd mixture of old, not-so-old and modern. There's a cafe and shop aimed at tourists, the Bourne Arms public house and restaurant and a long esplanade looking across the bay with Cumbria to the north but my eye is always drawn to the incongruity of the view of the two nearer nuclear power stations at Heysham.


Knott End-on-Sea: View looking north showing Heysham Nuclear Power Stations with Cumbria in the background (Trip to Blackpool)

A nearby postbox carried a 'postbox topper' celebrating crimefighting in Lancashire, which reminded me of my last sighting of these knitted adornments in Wallasey (mentioned here).


Postbox Topper 'You can run but you can't hide' celebrating Lancashire Constabulary in Knott End-on-Sea (Trip to Blackpool)

I decided not to explore beyond the esplanade with its modern apartment buildings facing the sea so, having recorded the Bourne Arms, I made my way back to the Knott End Cafe and indulged in a vanilla ice cream cornet.


The Bourne Arms, Knott End (Trip to Blackpool)

Although I was well aware that Knott End had formerly been connected to the West Coast Main Line via a single line railway to Garstang, it wasn't until I started to write this report that I realised the Knott End Cafe is actually on the site of Knott End Station. I believe the disused station buildings served as Knott End Cafe for some years before being rebuilt and expanded into the current structure. Refreshed by the ice cream, I hurried to the slipway, just in time to catch up with the last of the passengers boarding the next ferry for the short return trip.


View in 2021 from Knott End Slipway showing Knott End Cafe and H. M. Coastguard

At Fleetwood Ferry, a modern tram was waiting at the terminus, with the crew enjoying the warm sunshine on the adjacent pavement. After exchanging a few friendly words, I secured a seat at the front for the return journey and we set off almost immediately. Although we didn't have to stop at every tram station, plenty of passengers boarded and alighted on the way back to Blackpool.

As we neared Blackpool, work in setting up the annual Illuminations (sometimes called 'The Lights') was in progress. The website for the 2022 Illuminations (2nd September 2022 - 2nd January 2023) is here. The major displays are largely mounted on substantial long steel tubes mounted vertically in prepared foundations in the margin on the seaward side of the tramway, held in place by wooden wedges. At least some of these tubes appeared to be re-purposed supports for the tramway catenary or similar. We passed a Blackpool Council articulated flatbed lorry at work, fitted with a serious-looking Atlas crane (probably from their 'medium' range). Atlas manufacture in Germany but there's a UK website here.


Blackpool Illuminations being erected (Trip to Blackpool)

A few of the large displays were already in place, featuring Sooty and friends (who were appearing at Blackpool North Pier in 2022).


Blackpool Illumination 2022 being erected (Trip to Blackpool)

I left the tram at North Pier and, spotting another Heritage Tram waiting in the loop at North Pier, went across to take a picture. It was a rather attractive open top, 'Gondola' style tram with a driver, conductor and a couple of passengers on board.


Heritage Tram, open top, 'Gondola' style, waiting in the loop at North Pier (Trip to Blackpool)

The tram didn't seem about to move so I then spent a short time on the pier, taking yet one more picture of Blackpool Tower viewed from the pier.


Blackpool Tower, viewed from North Pier (Trip to Blackpool)

It was so warm, I'd ended up carrying my coat. I'd intended to travel home on a 'Pendolino' from Blackpool later in the afternoon not requiring any changes but knowing I could travel an hour earlier with a single change at Preston and starting to get tired and feeling warm, I crossed to Talbot Road and started walking towards the station. The walk took longer than expected and, for a moment, I wondered if I'd catch the earlier train but all was well. As I hurried through Blackpool station, I noticed that the later, direct train I'd intended to catch had been cancelled so I gratefully flopped onto the 14:28 Blackpool North to Hazel Grove, another Class 331. This made stops at Leyton, Poulton and Kirkham. The reporting number was 2H00. On arrival at Preston, I crossed to platform 4 and found a station seat, having around half an hour to wait for my connaction.

The connection was a 'Pendolino', reporting number 9M56, timetabled to depart Preston 15:18, Wigan 15:30½, Wigan 15:41½, Crewe 16:01½, getting to Wolverhampton at 16:33½. The train was a few minutes late into Preston and, with plenty of passengers boarding and alighting, the computer logged departure as 8 minutes late. I settled myself in First and there was amusement when the catering lady came to take 'orders from Preston' as we each recognised the other from the Down journey that morning. After I'd left the train at Preston, trainset 390117 'Blue Peter' had continued to Edinburgh and returned on its London-Edinburgh-London diagram to pick me up again. The service was friendly and attentive, although I found the afternoon menu rather limited. I'm afraid I didn't pay a lot of attention on the journey. The Openrail computer logged us 8 late at Wigan, 5 late arriving Crewe (we'd been brought to a stand outside Crewe North Junction) and I made us 7 late into Wolverhampton. The earlier than planned train home meant that I was in time to catch the last bus to Brewood (at 17:10!). The warm weather and the walking had left me tired but I'd had a very enjoyable day.

Garstang and Knott End Railway

Although I never saw the railway operating, I made one brief visit by road some years after closure of the line. For a rather obscure railway, I was surprised how much history was readily available on the internet and I list a few sites below:-

Garstang and Knot-End Railway
The Garstang and Knott End Railway – Part 1
The Garstang and Knott End Railway – Part 2
THE GARSTANG & KNOTT END RAILWAY
Disused Stations Site Record: Knott End

Related posts on this website

Previous trips to Blackpool are linked below. Note that the dates below are posting dates, not the date of the events described.

Halfex to Blackpool 5-Jul-2008
A Trip to the Seaside 17-Jan-2014
Railways around Blackpool 18-Jan-2014
Return to Blackpool and Fleetwood (part 1) 19-Feb-2016
Return to Blackpool and Fleetwood (part 2) 15-Oct-2016
Blackpool by Train 17-Feb-2019
Blackpool by Electric Train 28-Aug-2021


My pictures

Pictures taken on this trip:- Blackpool Trip


All my rail transport pictures showing areas passed through:- West Midland Metro
West Midland Railways
Stafford Area rail
Crewe Area rail
Warrington Area rail
Wigan's Railways
Railways around Preston
Blackpool's Railways
Blackpool Trams


All my Blackpool, Fleetwood and Knott End pictures:- Blackpool and Fleetwood


Depending on the display device, the right hand edge of pictures may not display. To see an uncropped image, click on the picture. Alternately, you can find the image by following the 'My pictures' links and display or download the image in various resolutions.