Sunday 27 January 2019

Work in progress (2)

Back in 2008, the post Work in progress stated my ambition regarding the backlog of draft blog posts to "Get 'em published, ready or not". How well did that work out? To my amazement, I have made 1,406 published posts at present, varying in length from the short to the quite long ("too long" do I hear you say?). But there are also 173 draft posts 'in the works', incomplete or awaiting further research.

The fact that I'm still working limits time available to write for the blog. I confess to still being a railway enthusiast (I think I prefer that term to 'railwayac' which I believe was used some time ago but unfortunately rhymes with 'maniac'). So that pastime consumes more of my available time (and is responsible for around half of the published posts). Finally, although my mobility is deteriorating with increasing age, my interest in travel is undiminished and any journey (even a modest one using the dreadful British railway system) supplies sufficient material for more unfinished posts.

The earlier 'Work in progress' post asked for the reader's indulgence regarding typographical and grammatical errors. Has that situation improved? Probably not. The editing software in 'Blogger' (which I still use) helpfully flags up spelling errors with a wiggly red underlining but, since it doesn't understand 'formatting directives', the editing screen is usually covered with highlighted formatting text, tending to hide the real errors. The other problem is that, just because a word is spelled correctly, it doesn't mean that's the word you intended. So, I will plod on, as best I can.

In the post An Apology, which appeared in 2009, I wrote about the perils of spelling place names, before digressing about L.M.S. signal box nameboards. For balance, below is a picture of a Great Western signal box nameboard. As I commented in the post here:-
The Great Western liked to dignify their signal boxes with a single, cast-iron name plate showing the name in full so I noticed the imposing length of the sign mounted on side facing the tracks reading 'SUTTON BRIDGE JUNCTION SIGNAL BOX'.

Shrewsbury area rail: Sutton Bridge Junction signal box, 28th July 2018.


Jan 'Blogging', 27th January 2019.