Wednesday 31 December 2008

Work in progress

I think everything I tackle should come with the rider 'Work in Progress', for nothing ever seems to be 'finished-finished'. 'Work in Progess' sounds less accusative than 'Believed to be correct but probably flawed and incomplete'. As people who write software quickly discover, it's almost impossible to get things exactly as you intend (despite the plethora of structured approaches intended to avoid error). However thoroughly text is proof-read, it's amazing how, much later, glaring errors can be spotted. So, everything has an implied caveat.

I'm critical of other people's spelling and grammatical errors, so you may think it rich that I crave the reader's indulgence when my standards slip below the desirable. My only excuse is that these posts are often prepared under less than ideal conditions.

When I'm at home, the writing is often done in the "wee small hours" when my eyes have trouble focussing and my fingers refuse to descend upon the intended key, but rather sprawl across a number of keys which each seem intent on adding their burden to the typed word. Sometimes, the intended letter appears together with one or two others which were not required; on other occasions, none of the letters which appear are actually part of the word I was seeking to type.

When I'm travelling, the problems may be compounded by unfamiliar computers, indifferent connections and uncertain power. The image I'm trying to suggest of the intrepid reporter struggling against the odds to get the news back to a waiting public may be slightly undermined by the heading photograph, taken in Yangon by my friend Doctor Hla Tun, which shows 'blogging' in the agreeable surroundings of the Strand Hotel.

But, as you get older, you realise that the remaining time to actually get this stuff down is not unlimited and a certain sense of desperation sets in. I've just reviewed how many posts are still in draft awaiting completion and correction and my New Year Resolution is to "Get 'em published, ready or not". Only you, gentle reader, can decide on the wisdom of this resolution.