Wednesday 8 May 2019

Mudon Township

Mudon Township, Wednesday 8th May 2019

After breakfast at Kaung Myat Hotel we drove on the North-South Highway 8 to Mudon.

Our first distribution of the day was at Ka Mar Wet Drop In Centre. Most of the children remembered my visits in previous years so it was a jolly event.


The Group shot, Ka Mar Wet D.I.C.: Mudon Township, 2019.


This teacher is about my age and always makes a fuss of me.

Our next distribution was at Mudon Drop In Centre. Once again, most of the children remembered my earlier visits and I was asked to speak on the "Never give up" theme.


Distribution at Mudon Drop In Centre, 2019.

When the distributions were finished at 11.30 a.m. and most of the children had left, a dining table was arranged and we were treated to Lunch.


Lunch at the Drop In Centre: Mudon Township, 2019.

Then it was on to the main distribution for the children from Ko Dut who this year had to travel to a large assembly hall at Mudon monastery to receive their distribution. Only 177 children out of a total roll of 332 were able to attend. The main limiting feature was the fact that only six small pick-up trucks could be hired at short notice.




Distribution in Mudon Monastery, 2019.

After the distribution, a senior monk addressed the children briefly. He also asked the Doctor to express their appreciation of the support being given.


The Group shot, Distribution at Mudon Monastery, 2019.

The children from Ko Dut then piled back into the six pick-up trucks for the long drive home.


Children returning to Ko Dut by pick-up: Mudon 2019. Note plastic basket for their flip-flops.

Our final distribution of the day was at the small D.I.C. at Kot Kha Pon which I'd visited previously.


Distribution at Kot Kha Pon D.I.C., 2019.

All that remained was to drive north on Highway 8 to Mawlamyine, pausing for a quick tour of the very modern Ocean shopping mall in Mawlamyine before taking an evening meal at the customary tea shop near the hotel.


Ocean shopping mall, Mawlamyine 2019.

This was to be the last night at the Kaung Myat Hotel - the following morning we were to drive to neighbouring Kayin State.

Related posts on this website

This is one of a series of posts describing my 14th visit to Myanmar. The post Return to Burma is the first post in the series.
Clicking on the 'Next report' link displays the post describing the next events. In this way, you may read about the trip in sequence.
Next report Alternately, clicking on the 'All my Burma 2019 reports' link displays all the posts on this trip in reverse date-of-posting order.
All my Burma 2019 reports.

My pictures

I've uploaded lots of pictures to 'Flickr' but they're not all sorted and titled. I'll get onto it as soon as I can.

Mudon Township, 2019
Burma 2019
Kyaung Myat Hoyel, Mawlamyine (most pictures taken on earlier visits).

[Text added, pictures embedded 27-May-2019]