Sunday 5 May 2019

Return to Burma

Yangon, Sunday 5th May 2019

This is the first post in the series describing my 14th trip to Myanmar, also known as Burma. I left Birmingham on a Qatar Airways flight at 08:20 on Saturday 4th May 2019, transited through Doha and arrived at Yangon's Mingalardon Airport around 06:15 a.m. on Sunday 5th May 2019.


On the first leg of my flight to Yangon, I took a light breakfast at 40,000 feet over the Czech Republic.

Doctor Hla Tun met me and transferred me to The Governor's Residence, Belmond's luxury hotel in Yangon. Here, there was just time for a shower and change of clothes because the Doctor had arranged two railway visits for me.


The Governor's Residence Hotel, Yangon: The elegant lounge on the upper floor.

Back in 2014, the Doctor had organised an official visit to the signal box at Yangon Central station. That visit, describing the Westinghouse 'Style L' miniature lever frame then in use, is described here. Since that visit, the main line from Yangon to Mandalay and the important Circle Line around Yangon is in the process of being modernised in a major scheme with the Japanese Government. I had learnt that the signalling arrangements that had fascinated me in 2014 had been replaced by a more modern system controlled from a new 'Operation Control Center' (yes, 'American' spelling) in another part of the station buildings.


The entrance to the Operation Control Center in Yangon (Myanma Railways 2019)

The signalman actually controlling trains that day on the the large computer monitor remembered my visit to the 'old' installation in 2014. A second signalman, with a smaller 'mimic' monitor, managed the frequent radio traffic.


Yangon Operation Control Center (Myanma Railways 2019)

We watched movements on the large computer monitor controlling the whole of Yangon Central Station plus the adjacent junctions at Pazundaung for some time.


Operation Control Center, Yangon (Myanma Railways 2019)
Click for larger view.


At the invitation of the Station Master's staff, the Doctor and I had a closer look at some of the 'outside equipment' (signals, point machines, location equipment cabinets) to complete our visit.


New outside signalling equipment, Yangon Central Station (Myanma Railways 2019)

A more technical description of the new system can be found here.

The Doctor then drove through Yangon's heavy traffic to the junction station at Togyaungkalay on the line from Yangon to Bago.

In 2018, I'd travelled through Togyaungkalay by train (there's a description of that trip here) so I was pleased to have the opportunity to confirm the signalling arrangements.


Togyaunggale: The operating floor of the signal cabin, showing the Korean 'NX' signalling panel (Myanma Railways 2019) Yangon, Sunday 5th May 2019

A more detailed technical description of this elderly installation is in preparation and will be published as soon as possible.

The Doctor then drove me back to The Governor's Residence for a meeting with Eddie Teh about the Belmond Myanmar Foundation, after which it was briefly to Doctor Hla Tun's house (where I had a tasty but hurried meal), then the Doctor and I went by taxi to the Yangon's Long Distance Bus Station in time to catch the 9.00 p.m. overnight coach to Mawlamyine. At the bus station, we were joined by Aung Ko Latt (who I knew from my visit in 2016 and who now works in Yangon).


The Overnight Coach to Mawlamyine (Burma 2019)

We arrived at Mawlamyine just after 3.00 a.m. on Monday where we were met by Zaw Moe Aung, our friend from previous visits who works for a support N.G.O. (Non Governmental Organisation) and he ferried us to the Kyaung Myat Hotel where we'd stayed during previous visits to Mon State. By 3.30 a.m. Monday, I was in room 304 for a little more sleep after an exhausting couple of days since leaving England.

Related posts on this website

This is one of a series of posts describing my 14th visit to Myanmar. This is the first post in the series.

Clicking on the 'Next report' link displays the post describing the next events. In this way, you may read about the trip in sequence.
Next report.

Alternately, clicking on the 'All my Burma-2019 reports' link displays all the posts on this trip in reverse date-of-posting order.
All my Burma-2019 reports.

My pictures

I've uploaded lots of pictures to 'Flickr' but they're not all sorted and titled. I'll get onto it as soon as I can.

Burma 2019
Myanma Railways 2019
The Governor's Residence Hotel, Yangon (pictures taken on earlier visits).
Kaung Myat Hoyel, Mawlamyine (most pictures taken on earlier visits).



[Note on pictures added 21-May-2019: Minor edits 24-May-2019: Link to post on Yangon Railway Operating Center added 5-Feb-2020]