Thursday 19 April 2018

Arriving in Yangon

Events of Thursday 19th April 2018

The flight from Doha to Yangon left from the 'E' group of gates which, because they are at the end of a long 'spine', are served by their own automatic 'railway', rubber-tyred and cable-hauled. Our gate was on the ground floor and we were led to a waiting, modern, articulated transfer bus indicating that the aircraft was at a remote stand.


Rubber-tyred, cable-hauled automatic 'railway' serving 'E' group of gates at Doha Airport 18th April 2018

The Business Class section of the waiting A319 had just eight modern seating units but I discovered that I was the only Business Class passenger so I was thoroughly spoiled by the friendly cabin crew. I watched 'Paddington 2' (about the bear, not the raiway station) whilst they served dinner then decided to sleep on the almost-flat bed. After a few hours sleep, I watched a couple of episodes of the 'sit-com' 'WIA' about the BBC whilst taking a continental breakfast. The flight duration was five and a bit hours and, although our published arrival was 06:00 we actually touched-down at five o'clock. To my surprise, by 05:15 my arrival formalities had been completed and I was reunited with my checked bag.

Doctor Hla Tun and his wife met me, as arranged, and we drove to the Doctor's home where a breakfast (fried egg, oatmeal, Coca-Cola which had become the 'default menu' on previous trips to suit my rather intolerant tastes) was immediately placed in front of me. The Burmese people are some of the most hospitable in the world. The Doctor prescribed rest after my long journey and, for once, I was disinclined to argue. I did, however, set-up my Dell laptop to allow me to work on the computer occasionally.

Related posts on this website

This is one of a series of posts describing my 13th visit to Myanmar. The post Travelling again is the first post in the series.

Clicking on the 'Next report' link displays the post describing the next events. In this way, you may read about the trip in sequence.
Next report

Alternately, clicking on the 'All my Burma-2018 reports' link displays all the posts on this trip in reverse date-of-posting order.
All my Burma-2018 reports.

My pictures

Doha Airport, Qatar.
(Pictures taken on this and previous transits/visits to Qatar).
Yangon Airport.
(Pictures taken on this and previous visits to Yangon).

[Pictures linked 25-May-2018]