Friday 6 May 2016

Last Day in Yangon

Events of Friday, 6th May 2016

One advantage of the Park Royal is that it's only about ten minutes walk from Yangon Central Railway Station. I'd hoped it might be possible to go on the suburban line towards Thilawa but the hotel didn't think that would be possible because of the sparse service, which I suspected might be the case, so instead I decided to take the Circle Line clockwise as far as Kyee Myin Daing (which was the terminus of the first railway in Burma) and do some railway exploring. Then, if not too tired, I would proceed further clockwise to Insein for more exploring before returning to Yangon by an anti-clockwise Circle Line train.

I left the hotel at about 8.00 a.m. and made the trips and explorations as planned. With my interest in railway signalling, the high point of an enjoyable (but hot) morning was managing to get invited into Kyee Myin Daing South Signal Cabin, with its elderly Westinghouse mechanical lever frame. There's a post about my visit to Kyee Myin Daing here.

Mechanical lever frame at Kyee Myin Daing South Signal Cabin.

It wasn't just about railways - travelling on the train in Myanmar is an splendid was of 'people watching' and learning a little about the lives of Myanmar people.

It was around 1.00 p.m. when I returned to the hotel and, in view of the long journey back to England which would start early the following day, I decided to stay in the hotel for the rest of Friday, using the internet.

Related posts

This is currently the last post describing this trip.

All my posts on this trip can be found here.

My pictures

Yangon to Insein by Train (mainly railway technical pictures but with some 'general' shots).
Kyee Myin Daing South Signal Cabin.

There are also pictures of this trip here.

More pictures will be posted as soon as possible.


[Link to pictures 'Yangon to Insein by Train' added 7-May-2016]