Tuesday 19 February 2013

Mandalay

Events of Sunday 17th February, 2013

My guide and driver took me to Nyaung Oo airport for the short flight to Mandalay International Airport.

The modest check-in arrangements at Nyaung Oo Airport.

My guide checked in for me and said I should go through security to the Departure Hall. We said goodbye and, by that time, the door he'd indicated had been closed. Further down the building I found a similar door clearly marked 'Departures', so I went through into a crowded waiting area. It slowly dawned on me that the people around me were arriving and not departing. The lack of movement was because their bags had not been made available. Eventually, I made it to the aircraft and flew to Mandalay Airport safely.

Disembarking from the Embraer 190 at Mandalay International Airport.

I was met by a new guide, Ko Aung Khaing (the 'Ko' is an honorific) and a new driver. We drove to the city which sprawls in the unattractive way of most large cities. The population is thought to be around 1.2 million. Mandalay is redeemed by also having some fine historical sites, such as the moated Royal Palace.

I checked into the Sedona Hotel, where I'd stayed before as described here. This earlier visit was part of a Far East trip with posts given the label 'FE2'. As on my previous visit, the accommodation was spacious, the service excellent. Just as well, as I was booked in for four days, allowing some scope for various trips around the area.

My accommodation at the Sedona Hotel.

More later ...

My pictures

Nyaung Oo Airport.
Mandalay International Airport.
Sedona Hotel, Mandalay.


[Revised 6-Mar-2013]