Saturday 17 November 2012

Last Night on 'Road to Mandalay'

Events of Saturday, September 22nd, 2012

I spent the day looking at initiatives by the 'Road to Mandalay' Social Contribution. I made both a morning and afternoon visit to the Bagan Medical Clinic (described here), visited what I have come to regard as 'old friends' at Htee Pu (described here) and, I hope, made new friends at Nga Minn May (described here).

Sunset was at 6.00 p.m. so the Farewell Cocktail Party on the Top Deck was held in total darkness, relieved by some electric lights and candles.

The 'Elephant' introduces himself to the guests.

We were entertained by a traditional Elephant Dance where two men in an elaborately- dance decorated elephant costume dance to music and song before performing remarkable balancing feats, still in the elephant costume.

The 'Elephant' balances on his forelegs.

The Farewell Dinner was served in the Restaurant at 8.00 p.m. and I had been invited to join Margot and Audrey and their friends.

Smiling faces at the Farewell Dinner.

Before retiring for the night, I had to complete my packing as luggage was to be available no later than 6.00 a.m. Sunday morning. However, 'Road to Mandalay' staff would then ensure that my case magically appeared in the luggage hall at Yangon Airport without further intervention on my part. And so to bed.

Photographs:

Elephant Dance on the 'Road to Mandalay'