Friday 4 September 2009

Bangkok Briefly

So far, the plans are still working. I flew from Yangon to Bangkok last night, was transferred to the Mandarin Oriental for a very short stay because I was picked up again at 6.15 a.m. this morning for transfer back to the new airport.

Check-in and passport control was fairly painless so then I headed for the business class lounge. Although I'm flying Jet Airways to Calcutta, sorry, Kolkata, my carrier has an arrangement to use the Thai Airways faciities. I think Thai have three business class lounges here (plus a First Class). I chose the one in the middle as (hopefully) being nearest my departure gate. The lounge is long and fairly thin, to fit in the 'interconnected tubes' layout of the terminal. In fact, I think it's the longest lounge I've been in. It's the size of the airport I don't like. You're faced with huge walks to get from place to place and no opportunity is lost to present you with 'retail opportunities' in designer goods at inflated prices.

Uploading pictures is sometimes a bit problematic, I'm afraid. I've taken over 1,000 pictures so far but only just started to upload them. However, you can see pictures of some of the places I've visited on this trip by looking at my photographs of previous trips.

A few days ago, I visited a monastic school near Sagaing in Myanmar where 'Road to Mandalay' passengers have made donations for various purposes. I've uploaded my pictures of this visit - they are here.