Tuesday 27 February 2007

A Day in Cape Town

27-Feb-2007:

After I left you at 6.20 this morning, I sampled the Cape Grace's continental breakfast before setting out, armed with a hotel map, to walk to the city centre. Incidentally, the hotel is just celebrating ten years of trading (see http://www.capegrace.com/). Well, I found Grand Parade with its town hall of Bath stone imported from England and located the main station, before returning to the hotel in time to be picked up for the 'Walk to Freedom' tour. There were two ladies from Essex on the tour, plus a girl and boy from Potsdam University doing a study on tour guides. The three of us on the tour had to complete questionnaires for the students both before and after the tour. The tour guide, Colin, was excellent and took us through the history of the Cape from initial discovery through to the introduction of Apartheid by the Nationalists just after the Second World War and the birth of democracy so recently. We visited a social history museum, the District 6 Museum. Then we visited the large township of Langa. The pattern of different types of housing is similar to Soweto, but in this case, we were taken right into peoples homes and invited to take photographs. A rather voyeuristic and sobering exercise. We also looked at a couple of bars, where the range of spirits on sale suggests on possible problem area in townships. Then we were taken to a primary school where a large group of infants sang to us. I'm still sorting out my responses to our experience in the township but it was very affecting. We were then taken to the Waterfront where our guide attempted to get our pre-booked tickets for the afternoon tour to Robben Island, where Mandela was imprisoned. To Colin's astonishment, they had cancelled all todays for unspecified 'technical' reasons. I walk back to the hotel and formulate an alternate plan.

The hotel books a helicopter ride for me and there's time for a light lunch before the helicopter company pick me up by taxi. I had an excellent flight and the same taxi driver sets off to return me to my hotel. After a while, we change plans and the driver takes me to the Table Mountain Cable Car and I ascend for breath-taking views from over 3,000 feet up. The taxi then returns me to my hotel. But I'm not quite finished. I walk to the main station, book to Belville and catch the lightly-loaded 18:40 train (3 foot 6 inch gauge electric trains). After a brief look around, it's back to Cape Town as it drops dark, walk to the hotel, have a simple meal and post this update. Then, I must get ready: I've an early start for home tomorrow!

Pictures of Cape Town.