Sunday 14 February 2010

Railway Working Time Tables

A typical timetable page: Weekday passenger workings from Dudley to Rugeley and Burton-on-Trent

Sooner or later, most railway enthusiasts gain an interest in Working Time Tables (WTT). These are the non-public time tables that regulate the movement of both passenger and freight trains. I've collected a few different timetables from the late '50s or more recent periods, mainly covering the West Midlands.

It's a major task to copy these timetables and make them available for general study, but I've made a small start and will extend this as possible. I was finally spurred into action by the Slideshow at Brewood Hall. A number of my friends have an interest in the South Stafford Line, so I decided to start with the timetable pages covering this section. I also located one of my lost notebooks describing movements at Sedgeley Junction in late 1962 and 1963, so this determined the required date of the timetables. The link below will take you to the freight timings for the preceding period (I don't have a copy of the timetable for exactly the right period) and the passenger timings for the correct period.

Alternately, you can view these two Abstracts on the 'Scribd' document site, where you can view, print, or download in 'PDF' format. The links are below:-

The passenger timings are here.

The freight timings are here.

My own other area of interest is the Stour Valley Line, in particular the section from Dudley Port to Wolverhampton and I've now made the 1962/1963 Passenger Working Time Table available as two documents, one for Down trains, one for Up trains. These are also on 'Scribd':-

Down trains here.

Up trains here.

[Stour Valley Timetable Pages added 3-Mar-2010]